Jim McDowell, VP of advertising and promotion at BMW North America, is determining how to catch up with the accomplishment of his most recent advertising battle, "BMWFilms." This campaign includes five short movies for the Internet, coordinated by a few of the most accomplished executives in Hollywood. By all signs, the nontraditional campaign has been an enormous achievement. Presently the inquiry is, how to achieve an encore?
1. Was the BMWFilms idea a good one?How successful has the campaign been?
2. What was the motivation behind the idea? Who was the target market for the BMWFilms campaign?
3. Describe the typical North American BMW customer. How does BMW’s U.S. customer base compare to that of its competitors?
4. How healthy is the BMW brand in North America, relative to previous years? What (if any) are the current weaknesses in the BMW brand? What do you make of BMW’s growth strategy?
5. What should McDowell do? Which option should he pick?